15-Item Wardrobe for Winter 2014-2015:
1. white 3/4 sleeve shirt from New York & Company Outlet
2. white pintucked long sleeve shirt from Ann Taylor
3. white long sleeve Essential Shirt from The Limited
4. black long sleeve Essential Shirt from The Limited
5. black jersey cross-over 3/4-sleeve top from Boden
6. black cross-over long sleeve sweater from Ann Taylor Factory Store
7. new black v-neck long sleeve sweater by Mossimo from Target
8. new black crew-neck long sleeve sweater by Mossimo from Target
9. red cross-over long sleeve sweater from The Limited
10. dark gray scoop-neck sparkly sweater with keyhole cut-out in the back from Ann Taylor
11. dark gray pants from Ann Taylor Factory Store*
12. black curvy trouser from Ann Taylor Factory Store**
13. black straight leg classic pants by Merona from Target*
14. dark blue Petite Modern Boot Cut Jeans from Ann Taylor*
15. dark blue curvy bootcut jeans from Ann Taylor Factory Store**
* to pair with flats
** to pair with heels
That's five shirts or tops, five sweaters, and five pairs of pants or jeans, for a total of 15 core items. Even though I would love to get down to a "10-item wardrobe" a la Jennifer of The Daily Connoisseur, I think 15 may be my smallest wardrobe size of any season. "Focus on fifteen" is what Shannon Ables advocates in her new book (for both fall and winter), Choosing the Simply Luxurious Life: A Modern Woman's Guide. [This is what I am currently reading.] I also think this is dressing appropriately for the cold Maryland winter.
The only new core items purchased this season are a couple of much-needed sweaters. I'm in my 30s now, trying to be sophisticated, and so I desire ones in luxurious cashmere, like this one from Ann Taylor, but those simply were not in the budget while preparing for the season. Maybe that one will be deeply discounted the day after Christmas or during January... Anyway, I'm satisfied with the affordable ones I picked up from Target. I feel that these two new items are completely classic.
I need to replace the pair of jeans that I wear with heels as they are too big.
I know that the vast majority of my capsule wardrobe is black and white, so the accessories and such will add the necessary pops of "color, pattern, texture, and shine" (I can still hear Stacy and Clinton (of TLC's What Not To Wear) say that four words!).
-Special Occasion Wear:
1. new black petite beaded scalloped lace over ivory pencil skirt from Ann Taylor
3. burgundy sweater with black lace top and short sleeves from Ann Taylor
4. black lace boat-neck knee-length dress with long sheer sleeves and ribbon at waist from The Limited
5. black jersey long sleeve faux-wrap knee-length dress with pin by American Living from JCPenney
I anticipate wearing my new "holiday skirts." I plan to dress in the lovely beaded lace one to dinner on Christmas Day and then the fun sequined number on New Year's Eve.
1. black-striped white boat-neck long sleeve nautical tee from Sweden Collection by Chance
2. black-striped white crew-neck long sleeve tee from LOFT
3. dark pink boat-neck 3/4-sleeve slubbed cotton tee from LOFT Outlet
4. burgundy boat-neck 3/4-sleeve slubbed cotton tee with button detail from LOFT
5. purple cross-over 3/4-sleeve tee by Merona from Target
6. navy cross-over 3/4-sleeve tee by Merona from Target
7. white striped dark gray boat-neck 3/4-sleeve nautical tee from H&M
8. medium gray boat-neck 3/4-sleeve slubbed cotton tee from LOFT Outlet
9. dark gray v-neck long sleeve tee by L.O.G.G. from H&M
10. black scoop-neck short sleeve tee from Ann Taylor Factory Store
11. ivory polka-dotted black henley-style long sleeve tee with button and ruffle details from LOFT
12. black scoop-neck long sleeve tee with ribbed neckline from Express
13. black v-neck long sleeve tee by L.O.G.G from H&M
1-5. 5 white (4 Everyday Camisole by Sonoma life + style from Kohl's and 1 from LOFT)
6. lacy silk cream from White House Black Market
7-8. 2 pink (1 Everyday Camisole by Sonoma life + style from Kohl's and 1 from LOFT)
9. red from LOFT
10. white polka-dotted black with lace trim from White House Black Market
11. black with lace trim from Ann Taylor Factory Store
12-13. 2 black (1 Everyday Camisole by Sonoma life + style from Kohl's and 1 from LOFT)
14. lacy silky black from White House Black Market
-Crew-neck 3/4-sleeve Cardigans:
1. black by Cherokee from Target
2. ivory from New York & Company
3. dark pink azalea from LOFT Outlet
4. black featherweight cashmere from J.Crew
The cashmere cardigan works well over sleeveless dresses and camisoles as it is pretty fitted in the sleeves and short in the torso. It is for dressing up for dates rather than for everyday. I'll own a roomier one for daily use someday...
-Scarves including bright warm colors
10 is low for me. My collection has been recently decluttered.
1. black skinny patent leather bow from White House Black Market
2. black/dark brown reversible from Target
3. black wide braided leather from The Limited
-Handbags, Totes, Clutches
I've been carrying my black leather tote from Nine West Outlet everyday lately, but may switch to my dark pink patent leather one by Coach soon. I usually select my black and white striped tote from Target before heading to Target or the grocery store in order to carry purchases back home.
I at least wear a pair of earrings and my only watch by Anne Klein everyday. Usually, the earrings are large round cubic zirconia studs. I have recently decluttered my collection of earrings and now own only 17 pairs.
-2 Pairs of Sunglasses (brown and black)
-Bras, Panties, Pantyhose, Tights, Black Socks, 1 Pair Dark Brown Socks, Old Black Trouser Socks, 3 new Black Knee-high Trouser Socks by Merona, 6 new White Ankle Socks by Hanes
2 new packs of socks picked up at Target recently.
-Closed-toe Shoes including ballet flats, heeled boots, one pair of black pumps, and one pair of sneakers
I do not own a pair of flat boots; this is a major hole. I want this pair of nude ballet flats in "blush" (but it has been sold out of size 9 both in my store and online for months!). Plus, I still hope to make a pair of nude pumps mine. Those nude shoe options are more ideal for spring anyway. My white sneakers with dark pink stripes are not exactly white anymore, but mostly blue from all those dark wash jeans I adore. I plan to purchase (a darker pair of) sneakers prior to my next international trip (whenever that will be!).
-Pajamas including new ivory-dotted pale green flannel pants by Gilligan & O'Malley from Target
Black, white and warm colors usually made the cut for my closet this winter. Fitting since I enjoy decorating my home with red and white at Christmastime. Limited color ensures that any piece goes with everything else, creating so many different outfits.
My intention was to have a friend take pictures of me modeling a few outfits, but, unfortunately, I failed to make that happen. Perhaps I will for another post. Or at least snap a selfie on Christmas Day.
I hope you enjoyed a peak into my closet this season! Do you have a capsule wardrobe too? What piece can you hardly wait to wear this holiday season?