Basically, I follow the guidelines for the Capsule or Ten-Item Wardrobe set by Jennifer L. Scott of the blog The Daily Connoisseur and her book Lessons from Madame Chic. You can check out her fashion show video and then her commentary post.
I am pleased to present my...
16-Item Wardrobe for Fall:
1. new white 3/4 sleeve shirt from New York & Company Outlet
2. new long sleeve Pintucked Perfect Shirt from Ann Taylor
3. white long sleeve Essential Shirt from The Limited
4. new dark pink striped 3/4 sleeve shirt from New York & Company Outlet
5. new 3/4 sleeve Wrap Jersey Top in Black from Boden
6. black long sleeve Essential Shirt from The Limited
7. brown cross-over 3/4 sleeve sweater from Ann Taylor LOFT
8. dark gray pants from Ann Taylor Factory Store
9. black pants by Alfani from Macy's
10. black trousers in curvy fit from Ann Taylor Factory Store
11. bootcut jeans with back pocket flaps by Levi's from JCPenney
12. bootcut jeans in curvy fit from Ann Taylor Factory Store
13. brown wool blend A-Line skirt with line design from Ann Taylor LOFT
14. dark gray pencil skirt from H&M
15. black pencil skirt by Banana Republic thrifted from Second Time Around
16. black paneled skirt from The Limited
LOFT Skirt with Stitched Line Design
The breakdown is 7 tops as well as 9 bottoms (5 pairs of pants and 4 skirts). 16 items total (plus extras yet to be discussed) works for me since I only do laundry once a week, work full-time in an office with a dress code of business casual, and maintain a busy life outside of work.
The two pairs of jeans and two pairs of black pants have different lengths, one to go with ballet flats and the other some type of heeled shoe: sandal, pump or boot.
Heavy on black and white as usual, I've also included warm hues such as pink and brown. I wanted a top in deep red this season, but sometimes more clothing is out of the budget. I will just have to carry a glass of ruby-colored Cabernet as often as possible! Capsule wardrobe usually limit colors so that everything goes with each other.
Much warmer than my capsule wardrobe last fall, I plan to roll up the sleeves on the long sleeve shirts more often than not.
I've been browsing soft or silky blouses, maybe with a bow at the v-neck, online, but haven't seriously considered them, not having tried any on yet. Perhaps I'll give it a real shot for my winter wardrobe... Any recommendations are appreciated!
1. white scoopneck short sleeve tee from Ann Taylor LOFT
2. white v-neck 3/4 sleeve tee from H&M
3. purple cross-over 3/4 sleeve tee by Merona from Target
4. new Intense Burgundy 3/4 sleeve slubbed cotton tee with button detail from LOFT
5. new dark pink boatneck 3/4 sleeve slubbed cotton tee from LOFT Outlet
6. new gray boatneck 3/4 sleeve slubbed cotton tee from LOFT Outlet
7. gray boatneck 3/4 sleeve tee with white stripes from H&M
8. black v-neck short sleeve tee from Target
9. black scoopneck short sleeve tee from Ann Taylor Factory Store
10. new black and white striped boatneck tee from Sweden Collection by Chance
Paris seems to be influencing my style choices. I purchased four new boatnecks, including one striped and another in a medium gray. These join one that made the cut for my closet this season. With the addition of purple and burgundy, the theme of warm colors has continued. It's probably known that I do favor them, but I consciously eliminated all cool-colored tees from this season's choices because warm colors make sense to me to celebrate the season with its fall foliage.
1-5. 5 white (4 Everyday Camisole by Sonoma life + style from Kohl's and 1 without built-in bra from Ann Taylor LOFT)
6. lacy silky cream from White House Black Market
7-8. 2 pink (1 Everyday Camisole by Sonoma life + style from Kohl's and 1 from Ann Taylor LOFT)
9. red from Ann Taylor LOFT
10. black with white polka dots and lace trim from White House Black Market
11. black with lace trim from Ann Taylor Factory Store
12. black Everyday Camisole by Sonoma life + style from Kohl's
13. black without built-in bra from Ann Taylor LOFT
14. lacy silky black from White House Black Market
I often wear a cami under a shirt, cardigan and even a sheer or low cut tee.
-4 Crewneck 3/4 Sleeve Cardigans:
1. black by Cherokee from Target
2. ivory from New York & Company
3. dark pink azalea from LOFT Outlet
4. new black featherweight cashmere from J.Crew
First thing Friday morning, I ordered #4 which is my first 100% cashmere piece. I do possess a scarf that is a cashmere/silk blend. I feel sophisticated even owning such a luxurious fabric, let alone wearing it! I can't wait 'til it arrives!
-7 Outerwear Pieces:
1. tan 3/4 sleeve belted safari jacket from The Limited
2. khaki single breasted belted trench from Banana Republic Factory Store
3. black single breasted trench from H&M
4. khaki blazer from H&M
5. chocolate brown corduroy blazer from Esprit
6. black suit blazer from The Limited
7. dark gray suit blazer from Ann Taylor Factory Store
-Special Occasion Wear:
1. burgundy sweater with black lace top and short sleeves from Ann Taylor
2. black lace dress with long sleeves from The Limited
3. black faux-wrap dress with jeweled pin and long sleeves by American Living from JCPenney
4. black wrap dress with short sleeves from Ann Taylor
5. black v-neck sleeveless dress with folds from White House Black Market
6. black pants from The Limited
The black pants have a matching blazer. A suit in excellent condition is crucial for a job fair and hopefully interviews (in Philadelphia) over the next several weeks.
-Handbags including new black leather tote from Nine West Outlet
I at least wear a pair of earrings and a watch everyday.
-2 Pairs of Sunglasses (brown and black)
Includes 10 new ones due to a couple of promotions at Victoria's Secret. This is decluttered for me! I mention this for the readers trying to downsize for the first time; some categories are easier than others and nobody's perfect. This is my justification: French women understand the importance of both beautiful and appropriate undergarments.
-Tights and socks
-Shoes including Boots
I do need to replace my black flats for work very soon, during this season. I've done a lot of browsing online, but am picky. In addition, I would love to add a nude pair of pumps to my collection. Maybe for my 31st birthday next spring...
-Pajamas including new Cotton Mayfair Pajama in Pink Stripe Lurex from Victoria's Secret
Inspired by Jennifer from The Daily Connoisseur, I finally purchased a grown-up set of matching pajamas that are "presentable."
I will create a new wardrobe for the winter as Maryland (and hopefully Pennsylvania!) enjoys four distinct seasons. I will incorporate sweaters during the colder months. For extras, I will replace my three short sleeve tees with four long sleeve options at least. Of course, I have a winter coat plus two warm scarves to add. Perhaps I'll become even more Parisian and introduce navy back into my closet. Let's see if I can come a bit closer to 10 core items next season...
In preparing for this post and the season of course, I bought many new pieces. All are noted in bold. Even though purchases are only sprinkled in, this is actually a lot for me. It felt like a major shopping spree. Since I am unable to afford much, I treat my clothes with care and luckily, they last many seasons. Some are years and years old and they wouldn't land on this list if they appeared shabby.
On that note, I hope my curated wardrobe and its extras overall reflect a more sophisticated image now that I'm in my 30s. Full of basics and classics with a Parisian touch, I think they do.